Thursday, November 14, 2013

Seasons.

"Good seasons start with good beginnings."  --Sparky Anderson, Second Baseman & MLB Manager

There is something in the air.  It looms and slightly reveals itself,  just as leaves falling subtly reminds you that fall and winter are coming.  I've had many seasons in my life.  Some have been tough.  Some have been joyous.  Some have been a mixture of both.  All I have grown and learned from.

It find it difficult to believe that it has been six months since I shared the burdensome and peace-stealing secret of my sexual orientation with my friend Kendra, and in turn opened the flood gates and began to be authentic with my closest friends and family.  SIX MONTHS.  This past six months has been the best, toughest and most educational of any I have ever experienced in my life.  I could spend my time this week telling more stories of my journey, but if you don't mind I would like to use this week's post to share with you some of the simple life lessons I have taken away from the last six months.  They may not all be relevant to your life, and you may even disagree with them, but they are very simple things that ring true in my heart and have brought me this far.

1.  Honesty is at the core of a life well-lived.

2.  It is of little value to give love to others if you aren't able to actually love yourself.  I haven't made it yet.  This is a constant journey for me but I am happy to at least be on the correct path now.

3.  You will have critics in your life.  You aren't guaranteed that everyone will like you nor will they like all of your decisions.  Some critics will love you through them.  Some will bail on you.  Simply follow your heart and allow it to filter out the unnecessary things or people.

4.  We all have limited space in our lives and hearts for meaningful relationships.  Do not give that valuable space to people who tear you down or see you as something less than themselves.  Fill that space with people who will build you up (even through tough love and accountability) and want to be a resource to your life.

5.  People will only value you as much as you value yourself.  

6.  There are some shady folk in this world.

7.    Not everyone is meant to be in every season of your life.  This doesn't diminish the impact they had on your life.  Sometimes things simply change.

8.  Patience is a virtue. One I don't have but desperately need.

9.  It is ok and in fact a good thing to talk to someone and seek help in life.  Very few journeys are meant to be taken alone.

10.  The most valuable thing in your life is your family.  I have seen my family reconcile and live in peace in a way that I never could have fathomed.

11.  Don't try to change the world.  Just seek to be a better you and the world will have no choice but to be changed.

I feel the season in my life changing once again.  I would be lying if I told you it wasn't scary.  The reality is, I have no idea what will come with this new season nor where I will be when I go through it. What I do know is this; the people in my life know the best me to date and these lessons I have come to realize will get me there just as all the seasons that have come before it.  I believe this next season will have a great beginning (Just like those Auburn Tigers!  War Eagle!)

Photo credit:  Gary Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment